Friday, May 6, 2011

bin Laden is Dead

I am so relieved Osama bin Laden was killed. Because, you know, I never knew when I might be brutally killed. By him. In a plane.

I decided that it was high time I say something about this subject, especially since I haven't blogged in, oh, a month. I'm quite sorry. Really, I am. Life has been ridiculous. You see, my mother has this annoying habit of constantly surpassing my high scores in various Facebook games. So, it has become one of my quests in life to beat her scores. It's a long quest. On top of that, I currently have a very large stack of reading material, including "Our Man in Tehran," by Robert Wright, which I believe shall prove to be quite interesting. Oh, and I'm trying to read through my Bible in 90 days. I'm currently near day 50, and it's...going well. I haven't missed a day yet.

But you don't really care about that all that, and I don't know why I'm rambling on about my personal life, because if you wanted to know about that, you'd go read my other blog. So.

Yes, Osama bin Laden is dead. Yes. A great menace...threat...thing to humanity et al has been removed. Because...he managed to kill...so many other people after we started chasing him. With thousands of soldiers.

There's something ridiculous, to my mind, about expending literally trillions of dollars, thousands of soldier's lives, and ten years of time to catch one man. Of course, that's not including the hundreds of thousands of Afghani civilians we've killed, nor the other hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians we've killed. Although Iraq had nothing to do with Osama bin Laden.

So basically, not much is new. We're still not going to pull out of Afghanistan, because the big bad insurgency is still there. And God forbid the Afghanis like...try to defend themselves. That would be horrible. We're also not leaving Iraq anytime in the near future, and since we've just invaded Libya - while, of course, making it very clear that we haven't invaded Libya - there's still going to be plenty of Middle Eastern ridiculousness for me to comment on.

So yes, Americans. Osama bin Laden, our Emmanuel Goldstein, is dead. You can go to sleep now, and let the government take care of you. Because it knows everything.

5 comments:

Charlene said...

Reading the Bible is a good thing, I think, for you to do with your time.

Candy said...

How do you know so much about politics and what sort of thing should I do to know more, like you? I'm 15, and I really want to get more involved and in the know in terms of politics and the government. :)

Kyla Denae said...

Charlene- yes indeedy. :))

Candy- well. I feel very special now, because somebody asked me a question like that. Here's my attempt at answering it.

Basically what I've done is read books since I was about 10. Like big, adultish history books. I've read books from every political stripe on every subject you could imagine, with every viewpoint. American history, English history, Egyptian history, Roman and Greek history, political science, science itself, biographies of great leaders and founding fathers...

So that's a good place to start. Just read insane amounts of books.

How I learn about current events is more simple, and much faster. I've subscribed to the NYTimes and the Washington Post, and I have an update thing sent daily to my email. I open up the email, skim for headlines, and if something looks interesting, I open it up, and it might turn into a blog post. :))

Christopher said...

This post was relieving to read. I posted an article on The Chin Scratcher by David Sirota which was about bin Laden as well.

The opening lines of the speech of one candidate for Student Government President of the 2011-2012 school year were, "Hello. My name is Hampton Scott. Osama bin Laden is dead."

Kyla Denae said...

Christopher- thank you. :)) I believe I saw that post...I also believe it may have been posted on Facebook...yes. Anyway.

I don't understand why it's such a big thing to so many people. We hadn't even heard anything about the guy in like, three years. He was a nobody by then, even if he was still alive, which I doubt. But anywho. The ecstatic rejoicing, that seemed to just forget that he was a person, and that we'd killed a whole bunch of other people in the pursuit of that person, was what really frightened me. v.v